Thursday, July 29, 2010

I admit it - I'm a recovering perfectionist

So I got really excited over another Professional Organizer's blog. I had the pleasure of meeting Lissane Oliver at this year's Los Angles Organizing Awards show and since have read her book, "Sorted!" and continue to read her blog. She's smart, quirky and fun! Her recent blog, "Why Imperfect Works for Me" talks about perfectionism getting in the way of productivity.
Why imperfect works for me

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese philosophy that when something is created, it should contain an element of imperfection. From Wikipedia.org:

Wabi-sabi nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple
realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

French philosopher Voltaire once said, The Perfect is the enemy of the good.

If you're a perfectionist, ask yourself this. Is it helping, or harming my cause? I know that many of you may not even even attempt a task or project unless the result will be perfect... that means nothing happens. That's definitely a case of The Perfect being an enemy of the good.

Sometimes we need to learn to let go of concepts and beliefs more than the stuff in our lives. Let go of perfect and embrace good enough! "It'll do" is often your best friend, you just didn't know it.
Such great words to live by, Lissanne. Thanks!!

No comments: