Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I LOVE Containers

Containing your stuff really is an important step in getting organized. Think of a bookshelf with various things scattered and stuffed on the shelves. Or visualize clean bookshelves with fun colorful boxes or natural baskets holding their contents to minimize the visual clutter. Oh - that is better.
Keeping smaller objects in containers can instantly give a space a more organized feeling. And by keeping like items together you will save time when looking for things. For example, I have shelving in my office that I use to hold supplies, books and other resource materials. In one container I have all my computer supplies such as extra cords, straps to tie cables together, and some user manuals. In another container I have new file folders and another container holds office supplies like ink cartridges, tape for my label maker, and a paper cutter. Since I order business cards a thousand at a time, I keep my back up supply in a small container. Seeing these beautiful grass cloth covered containers sure beats looking at piles of office supplies. It gives my office an orderly cohesive look.
I recently used this system with a client who had no storage in her desk. No drawers. No shelves. Just a modern open desk. Because she had no other place to put all her officey stuff she piled it on her desk top and on the floor around the desk. This looked messy and wasn’t conducive to her finding things quickly. So she found some inexpensive decorative boxes with lids that can hold the supplies and stack neatly near her desk. Of course we labeled each box so that she could find things instantly.
Check out these sites for a great selection of containers:


Give this a try in your office, closet, or playroom and let me know how it works for you.


No comments: